Sony A7S III launch event
Highly Anticipated Sony Alpha 7S III Combines Supreme Imaging Performance with Classic “S” Series Sensitivity
New Alpha 7S III Empowers Creators with 4K 120P[i]Video, 10-bit 4:2:2 Recording, 15+ Stop Dynamic Range[ii],Improved AF Performance and More
· Newly developed BIONZ XR™ image processing engine with eight times more processing power[iii] and a brand new 12.1-megapixel (approx.,effective) back-illuminated full-frame Exmor R™ CMOS image sensor, significantly reduced rolling shutter effect[iv]
· Ultra-high sensitivity with ISO range expandable from 40 – 409,600[v],and improved image quality by approximately 1 stop noise reduction[iv] in the middle and high sensitivity ranges
· Video recording capabilities include 4K 120pi, 10 bit 4:2:2 color depth, All-Intra recording, XAVC HS format with H.265 codec and more
· 15+ stopdynamic range for movies[ii]
· 4K 60p 16-bit RAW video HDMI output for the first time in the Alpha™ series
· Fast Hybrid AF system with 759 point phase-detection[vi]AF sensors covering 92% of image sensor
· Enhanced Real-time Eye AF for movie recording[vii]and still image recording
· New heat dissipating mechanism and dual slot relay recording enables over one-hour long 4K 60p 10-bit 4:2:2 movie shooting[viii]
· 5-axis optical in-body image stabilization supports handheld movie shooting, with added Active Mode [ix] to support especially difficult hand held movie shooting
· World’s brightest[x] and largest x new 0.64-type 9.44 million-dot (approx.) OLED electronic viewfinder
· Side Opening variable angle LCD screen enhances shooting flexibility
· Completely redesigned menu system with touch screen interface and touch operation
· Dual CFexpress Type A card slots that enable high speed data processing while keeping the compact size
SAN DIEGO – July 28, 2020 –Today, Sony Electronics Inc. announced the long-awaited addition to its acclaimed Alpha 7S full-frame mirrorless camera series — the Alpha 7S III (model ILCE-7SM3).
Featuring a brand new 12.1MP (approx., effective) back-illuminated full-frame image sensor with ultra-high sensitivity and 15+ stop wide dynamic range[ii],a host of impressive video recording capabilities including 4K 120pi and 10-bit 4:2:2 color depth, a new heat dissipating mechanism, dual slot relay recording enabling over one-hour of 4K 60p movie shooting[viii],a new autofocus system, and touch screen interface and side flip LCD screen,the new Alpha 7S III will become the ultimate creative tool for video professionals and all types of hybrid still/video shooters.
“The Alpha 7S III is the ultimate representation of Sony’s passion to solve our customers’pain points,”, said Neal Manowitz, deputy president for Imaging Products and Solutions Americas at Sony Electronics. “We are always listening to our customers’ feedback, pushing hard to deliver innovation that goes far beyond their expectations. There is no better example than this new camera. Combining classic S series sensitivity with a feature set, performance level and user experience that is simply unmatched in the market today — at any price level — the Alpha 7S III opens up a new world of possibilities for today’s creators.”
The system architecture for the new Alpha 7S III has been completely redesigned to deliver exceptional video and still shooting performance. The new 35mm full-frame 12.1MP(approx.,effective) back-illuminated Exmor R™ CMOS image sensor reduces rolling shutter by up to three times[iv] and utilizes a variety of advanced light-gathering techniques to ensure high-sensitivity with low noise, allow ingusers to shoot in low-light situations without needing large-scale lighting setups. In addition to improved image quality, this new image sensor includes a focal plane phase-detection AF system for the first time in an S-series camera.To compliment the new sensor, the Alpha 7S III also includes a new BIONZ XR™ image processing engine that provides up to eight times more processing power[iii],minimizes processing latency, and enables many of the hallmark still and imaging features of the camera. The new system also includes the world’s brightest[x] and largest[x] 9.44 million-dot (approx.) OLED electronic eye-level viewfinder and is the world’s first camera[x] with dual CFexpress Type A card slots, enabling high-speed data transfer in a compact size.
[i] 10% of view cropped
[ii] S-Log3 movies, Sony internal tests
[iii] When compared to the BIONZ X™ image processor
[iv] When compared to Alpha 7S II
[v] 40 to 409,600 for stills and 80 to 409,600 for movies. Sony test conditions
[vi] When shooting full-frame still images. The number of AF points used depends on the shooting mode.
[vii] This function does not track animal eyes
[viii] Sony test conditions. XAVC S-I 10-bit 4:2:2, 25 deg C (ambient, camera when recording started), Auto Power Off Temperature: High. The value will vary depending on the shooting conditions. Movie shooting past an hour will continue until battery ends.
[ix] In active mode, the shooting angle of view is slightly narrowed. If the focal length is 200 mm or more, it is recommended to set to standard
[x] As of July 2020, Sony survey. Among full-frame mirrorless cameras
[xi] Up to 10fps in continuous “Hi+” mode, and upto 8fps in continuous “Hi” mode Maximum fps will depend on camera settings
[xii] Requires CFexpress Type A memory card